Browned Butter Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies - Sugar High Fridays #68

>> Thursday, August 26, 2010


I spoke way way too soon. About many things...

1. That the weather hadn't been over 90 degrees here all summer, and California weather was never hot.

Well, we sure got our fair share of it this week. It got to 106 degrees on Tuesday, and Monday and Wednesday were equally as hot. Our new house doesn't have air conditioning, and when we walked in the house on Tuesday night at 6:30 our thermostat said 100 DEGREES!! We've just been sitting on our back porch trying to escape the heat. Our only saving grace is that it does cool off in the evenings! Luckily it was a short heat wave, and we're already back on our way to 70 degree temperatures.

2. That I had found the best chocolate chip cookie recipe.. ever. Well, things sure have changed. My husband agrees too. :) Now you have to try these too. Oh Darn!

I was reading through some of my favorite blogs, and came across something called Sugar High Friday's by the Domestic Goddess, and this month's challenge, using browned butter in your sweets, is hosted by 17 & Baking. This sounded like so much fun.

Molasses + Sugar = Homemade brown sugar - Awesomeness.

Butter + Cooking it on the stove = Browned Butter - Awesomeness.

Molasses + Browned Butter = Browned Butter Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies - Even More Awesomeness
Joy The Baker came up with this awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe, and tweaking it a bit by browning the butter seemed like the perfect match up. Perfectly chewy goodness with just a hint of caramelized flavor from the butter. YUM!

P.S. I halved the recipe, and it turned out fine!
Browned Butter Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from Joy the Baker)
Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon dark molasses, not blackstrap
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips or chunks
sea salt for sprinkling on top of cookies just before baking - Don't skip this step!!!

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees

2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat until foam disappears and butter has a nutty smell, the color being light golden. Remove from heat.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix the granulated sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain. - Homemade Brown Sugar!!
mmm... yum!
4. Pour the melted butter in a bowl of a mixer. Add the homemade brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
5. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

6. Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, and then scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Lightly sprinkle each ball with a couple flecks of sea salt to help bring out the chocolate flavor. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning.


6 comments:

carissa August 27, 2010 at 1:59 AM  

definitely a must try!!! wow - they sound perfect! i just discovered "joy the baker" ... my diet is not thanking me! : ) oh, i can't believe how hot it's been out there. i've never heard of that! my family called and told me that it must be nice to have a/c.

Emily August 29, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

Oh WOW. These look amazing! Love.

Emily September 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

Okay so I had to hunt down your blog after that AMAZING dinner/dessert last night! Steve and I were both impressed.
These look so good. Too Good.

Anonymous,  September 15, 2010 at 2:09 AM  

Hi, I can only seem to get blackstrap molasses here in the UK, how should I change the recipe to accommodate, thanks!

Rebekah September 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Hi Billy,

so.. my understanding is that blackstrap is more bitter than unsulphered molasses.. So, you could try it, and just see how it turns out, knowing they might not be quite as sweet - or try adding a little less of it.

My other suggestion would be to go with a dark brown sugar rather than making your own brown sugar. It wouldn't have quite as much as the molasses taste since you are not adding fresh, but using a dark instead of a light would give you a richer molasses taste.

let me know how it goes! :)

Crystal November 26, 2014 at 11:57 PM  

I had made these on another blog but her site is no longer and so I had to hunt for it somewhere else. I used the recipe on joyofbaking.com and they just didn't taste right...Weren't very sweet and didn't have much flavor. So I found your recipe for them and you have 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar. Hers says to use 1/2 cup of sugar so I'm sure that's where I went wrong! I am going to use your recipe next time I make them. :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!