FAIL

>> Monday, March 28, 2011

I attempted something I've never done before!


I made macarons.

Unfortunately, it was a bust!

My batter didn't set very well, and they did not get that nice puffy look that macarons are known for. No light airy yummy texture.
Well, they were still yummy, but they just broke apart! :)

I decided, that I would still post about them however, because sometimes, things just don't turn out! And what better way to learn from it, then share it, and then either you can fill me in on what I did wrong, or learn from me! :) So, I think where I went wrong was my meringue - I thought it had set enough (i.e. forming stiff peaks), but I think this was my problem.

They did have an amazingly yummy dulce de leche buttercream frosting in the middle. And this turned out great!

So, well, as embarrassing as it is, here's the recipes - pictures and all! :)

**Anyone have any advice?
**Have you ever made macarons?

**You will need a kitchen scale for making macarons since they are a French dessert and measurements are in metric units.

Macarons with Dulce de Leche Buttercream (By: Tartelette)

Ingredients:
For the Macarons:

90 grams egg whites (brought to room temperature)
25-50 grams white sugar
200 grams powdered sugar
110 grams almonds (I used slivered, but can be chopped, blanched, sliced, etc)
small amount of gel food coloring (optional)

For the Buttercream:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 Tbs. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup prepared dulce de leche

Directions:
1. First place the almonds in a food processor and grind till super fine consistency. Then measure, to make sure you have 110 grams.

Kitchen scale from CSN - review coming soon!
2. Then measure 200 grams powdered sugar and combine with almonds in food processor. Pulse until well blended. Run the mixture through a sieve to get out bigger pieces, and rub those between your fingers to break up. Set aside.

It's a little difficult to get exactly precise measurements on here. It was at 200 and I picked up my camera and then it was at 201 - I figured 1 gram wouldn't hurt. But maybe it did.

3. Measure the egg whites and place them in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.

Whip the eggs until it reaches a frothy/foamy consistency. (Tartelette describes it as bubble bath consistency).
3. Gradually add the sugar and continue mixing until mixture reaches shaving cream like consistency with stiff peaks.
4. Add the nuts/powdered sugar mixture to the meringue and fold ~ 50 strokes. Add in food coloring if you choose and fold until combined.


5. Using a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip, pipe small amounts on a baking tray with silpat or parchment paper. Allow to sit for 30 min. before baking.
6. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool completely before removing.

For Buttercream:
While cookies are cooling:
1. Combine powdered sugar and butter in a bowl until creamy.

2. Add rest of ingredients (cream, vanilla, dulce de leche) and combine until no lumps and mixture is creamy.

3. Spread onto cookies and enjoy.

2 comments:

Meri March 28, 2011 at 1:37 PM  

Fun post- I'm sure yours turned out better than mine would- although when I bake its really just so I have a vehicle for frosting, and yours looks really tasty :)

Unknown March 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM  

I'm glad I'm here that we're going to cook something for the blog.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!