Just In Time

>> Monday, March 14, 2011


For St. Patrick's Day that is. Here are some Mint Chocolate Chip cookies to get you in the spirit! I usually don't do much for St. Patrick's Day other than just wearing green.


When I was a kid, I was always the kid who didn't wear green very noticeably, and got pinched, and then I would yell out, "Look, I'm wearing green RIGHT here" (Who cares if it was on my socks that were covered up with my pants). Clearly, I was not very popular when I was a kid.


I have to admit, it seems really silly to be worrying about celebrating St. Patrick's Day and making green cookies when such a horrible tragedy is taking place in Japan. The earthquake and tsunami are literally heartbreaking, and I feel very very helpless in the middle of it. I do at the very least want to remind everyone to pray for Japan.

These little 'gems at end of the rainbow' are quite tasty! They are the cookie version of mint chocolate chip ice cream! The dough on the pan even looks like scoops of ice cream!

I could not find the creme de menthe baking chips at any grocery store (checked 3), so I ended up just crushing Andes mints, and I think the result was just fine!
I think you should make some for your family today! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!


Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from: Betty Crocker)
Ingredients
1 package sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
6-8 drops green food coloring
1 egg
1 cup Andes mints - crushed
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add the sugar cookie mix, butter, extract, egg, and food color until a soft batter forms.
2. Add in the Andes mints and chocolate chips and stir in.
3. Use an ice cream scoop or spoon and spoon a small amount onto a pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until done.

4 comments:

McMommy March 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM  

mmm, those look so delicious! Scott's favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip. I'll have to try these for him sometime.

Laura Thomas March 14, 2011 at 11:03 PM  

The dough looks like it would be just as yummy. =)

The Chambs March 19, 2011 at 6:43 PM  

Great idea, Bekah!
I agree with you on feeling helpless regarding Japan...! Take care!

Meri March 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

Wow- I clicked over here because I saw that you are an OT and I work with kids in the Autism/ Mental Health field, thus collaborating with OTs often...

but then you hooked me with those cookies! I'm a mint-a-holic!
Glad to find your blog, can't wait to see some more tasty treats.
Cheers!
meri
merigoesround.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!