Grammie's Sock It To Me Pound Cake

>> Tuesday, June 1, 2010


Hope you all had a great LONG Memorial Day weekend!


It was so nice to have a day off work! We went to Carmel, CA for the weekend with some friends and took the pups along. We had fun exploring, letting the dogs play on the beach, shopping, etc. It was just so nice to relax - and force our puppies to be best friends! :)
I think they bonded by the end, even if it was forced upon them.

Of course I came home sick - just a really bad cold, but not a fun way to end the vacation.

So, let's talk about some yummy cake. This one holds a special place in my heart.

Very soon after we moved to California, my great-grandmother passed away. I wasn't able to go home for the funeral, but my grandmother sent me several items of hers that she thought I might like. She loved to cook as well, and was known for several key staples for family get-togethers: Red Velvet Cake that is to DIE for - my father requested it for every birthday, and at Christmas, she made homemade biscuits for ham biscuits! A true Southern love right there!

My grandmother sent me this pan that was my great-grandmother's and I felt it such a privilege to own it.
I knew I wanted to make something special in there, and when my mom came to visit, I knew I had just the thing. She brought me a present from my grandmother - a cookbook from her church commemorating the 50th anniversary. In there are several of my grandmother's recipes, including this cake recipe - I can remember eating this at Easter dinners, family dinners, and the sort. I LOVE the frosting on this, it's one of my favorites. I thought it would be so cool to make it in my great-grandmother's pan.

I know it's not a true tube pan, but I just thought it would be so cool to combine these! It was well worth it. And it's SOO easy! I LOVE how thick, creamy and yummy the batter is, and the cake is super fluffy with the cinnamon/brown sugar streak really makes it!

P.S. How do you like the new banner?

Grammie's Sock It To Me Pound Cake: (By: Billie Suthard, a.k.a. Grammie)
Ingredients - for cake:
1 butter recipe cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (these are obviously optional, I actually left it out)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Ingredients: - for frosting:
1 box powdered sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 stick butter, softened

Directions:
For cake:

1. Mix cake mix, sugar, and oil together well.
2. Add eggs one at a time

3. Then add cream cheese and pecans.
This batter is soo soo yummy! You will definitely want to lick the beaters.

4. Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased tube pan.
5. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over batter in pan.
6. Pour remaining batter over cake and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I actually baked this for about 1 hr and 10 min. but I think it's because of the pan choice, so watch it carefully! Allow to cool on cooling rack.

Directions - For Frosting:
Mix powdered sugar, milk, cocoa, and butter together and pour onto cake.

**Note: You can also cook the above ingredients together and pour over warm pound cake, and it hardens - amazing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!