A New Twist

>> Tuesday, May 10, 2011


I did it... I finished my second half marathon. But not without a fight!


This time around was not easy! Not that the first one was a piece of cake, but it felt like it compared to this race. I had a really hard time.


There were a lot of factors going against me this time, including the fact that I had gotten the flu just 3 weeks before race day. Or that it was really windy that day. Or that I was stupid and ran the first seven miles WAY faster than my pace should have allowed. Or that I have a hamstring pull/issue thing going on and I had to stop at a few of the water stations and stretch it out.
I promise these aren't excuses! :) But it did make for an altogether bad run.

On one good note - I beat my time from the last half by 10 minutes! I only wish it had felt good.

Crossing the finish line After the race...yes we look nasty!

You may remember last summer that I posted about some delicious blackberry lemonade. I loved it... it was amazing... it tasted sooo good. And then I made it better.

This time, I made Blackberry Limeade. It is amazing! I have to say even more amazing than the lemonade. It's tart without being too much so. Limes have a great sweetness to them, and the mixture is perfect. So go on, go ahead and make yourself some.

Refreshing Blackberry Limeade (Adapted from Love and Olive Oil):
Ingredients:
3/4 cup raw or cane sugar
3 cups water (divided)
2 cups blackberries
3 limes, juiced
Ice

Directions:
In a microwave safe container, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Heat on high for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir until sugar is dissolved. (You can do this on the stove by bringing the water to a boil and dissolving the sugar over medium heat - but microwave method is much quicker!) Set aside and allow to cool.
Meanwhile, juice the lemons, and in a large bowl or pitcher, muddle the blackberries with the lemon juice until very smooshed! :)
Pour in sugar syrup, remaining 2 cups water, and a few ice cubes and stir. I used my awesome Pampered Chef pitcher that has a mixer built in!

Pour over a glass of ice (you can strain the blackberry pulp - my pitcher got most of it, but I liked having a little in there). Garnish with a sprig of mint or lemon!


1 comments:

carissa May 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM  

You beat it by 10 whole minutes?!?! Dang, that's impressive. Apparently you do well under hard circumstances. -even with a pulled hamstring! The half in Chas is next Jan. I have a lot of time... Right now I'm running five miles 4x week. Then doing weight training. I'll set aside one day/week to do an extra long run. You inspire me!!! And that limade sounds perfect for a warm day.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!