Summer Is Here

>> Wednesday, June 2, 2010


Now that I live in California, I love the summer!

Couldn't say the same for South Carolina. It was SOO hot, I would count down the days to fall - because you can still go to the beach in the fall, and you can actually keep the windows open.

In California, you can keep the windows open year round, the flowers are gorgeous, you can actually enjoy outdoor activities in the summer, and you don't get eaten alive by mosquitos - in fact I've seen one mosquito in the entire year and a half I've lived here. Quite the difference from Charleston. I got these peonies (my absolute favorite flower) from Trader Joe's, and they seriously make me happy! Aren't these gorgeous... I didn't edit this photo at all!
One of the things I do love about summer, regardless of where I am is ice cream!! I got this love from my dad. He's the start of a what will be a very long generation of sweet tooth's. He used to (and probably still does) get up to enjoy a midnight snack of ice cream. So, I have a sweet spot for some ice cream.

This is a sorbet recipe, so not exactly ice cream, and it's a recipe from Family Circle, so they found ways to take down the calories, but imagine that... healthy ice cream!! This keeps getting better and better! Did I mention it has coffee... and chocolate.... and it's ICE CREAM!! I'll put the nutrition facts at the bottom.

Well, it is actually a sorbet, so it's a bit icy, but the flavor is fantastic, and it's a great way to treat your sweet tooth without feeling bad about yourself. I definitely recommend using good quality chocolate for this one.

Mocha Sorbet (by: The Family Circle: Eat What You Want and Lose)
Ingredients (makes 12 servings): - I halved this written recipe
4 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

Directions:
1. Combine water, sugar, corn syrup, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and chocolate in medium-sized saucepan. Simmer until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
2. Pour into 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Place in freezer for 2 1/2 hours or until partially frozen.

3. Working in batches, spoon chocolate mixture into food processor or blender. Process 1 minute or until smooth. Do not overprocess. Pour back into baking pan. Freeze 1 hour.
4. Repeat Step 3. Freeze for 1 1/2 hours or until firm.

Nutrient Value Per Serving: 140 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 g protein, 3 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  June 7, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Looks yummy, hubbie is diabetic so less calories/sugar better for him. Will try this recipe since he loves ice cream. Thanks for the photo description.

Kkly June 8, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

This looks delicious! Great photos also...

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!