Celebrate Good Times

>> Monday, February 1, 2010


Yes, we're celebrating all right! We're celebrating the last of the vegan posts.... at least for a while. Coincidentally, my husband and I decided that we actually really like the vegan diet. We've really explored a lot of new food options, tried many new recipes, and decided we even like soy milk more than regular milk.

We might start eating all vegan...Ha, "Don't get crazy"

However much we do like eating vegan, we did decide to celebrate the end of the three week fast. It happened to work out perfectly that Saturday was day 90 of P90X, Sunday was day 21 of the fast, and our friend's Aimee's birthday was Thursday. We did a lot of celebrating! :)

Cheesecake Factory, Coffee, Friends, Chicken, did I mention COFFEE!!!! And yes, it was Peet's.

So, for the last vegan post... for awhile, I decided on this yummy Black Bean Salsa:

I originally made a recipe similar to this a few years ago off the back of a Libby's black bean can. It was good, but needed a bit of tweaking. I also discovered during this fast that I don't think Libby's black beans exists anymore! Do they still make Libby's black beans in your area? What about the pumpkin puree from Libby's?

Anyway, here is the recipe of what I can remember, and a little bit of extras. We made the salsa, heated up some corn tortillas, and made tacos with the bean salsa, brown rice, and guacamole! We didn't even miss the sour cream and cheese... No really, we didn't miss it! (Can you hear me trying to convince myself!) You can also just eat this as an appetizer with chips!

Black Bean Salsa: (Adapted from Libby's Black Beans)

Ingredients:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans

    1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans

  • 1 (15 ounce) can corn
  • 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
  • 1 small red pepper, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt


Directions:
Mix everything together, let rest for 20-30 minutes, and enjoy!


2 comments:

carissa February 3, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

yummmm... the cheesecake factory. i wish i could bottle it up and take a drink of it everyday. okay, maybe that sounds disgusting and makes me sound like i'm an oompa loompa. anyways, your salsa looks so fresh and healthy! i especially love that avocado on top.

Rebekah February 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

Carissa, I love the Cheesecake Factory too. Even though we have one right here, we don't go very much... It's expensive. But we had $100 in gift cards from Christmas and our anniversary, so it was free!!!

The salsa is fresh, but soo yummy. I love it as a snack!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!