Smoky Chicken Salad

>> Monday, January 18, 2010


My husband and I are doing the P90X exercise program. If you haven't heard of it, be very glad you haven't! :) It's hard, crazy, and intense. We're on day 76 of 90.

Of course my husband started seeing results the week we started, and I still am waiting to see the results. The joys of being a woman. He got big muscles, and I got none. He lost 15 pounds of fat, I've lost 5, He can do pull ups, I can't do any, he's almost got a six pack, and I have 6 inches of flab, he eats In and Out Burgers all the time, I eat none. Why is it that when it comes to losing weight and working out, men just do better than women? Really frustrating! :)

Anyway, while doing this, I tried to cook most of the meals in the provided book for dinners at least, and we followed a sensible diet plan for breakfast's and lunches. Sorry, I don't have time to come home and grill turkey burgers for lunch - I had to make it functional for me with working a full time job, being part of a church plant, and me being the one doing all the planning, grocery shopping, and cooking.

One day, I was making dinner from one of the recipes and accidentally combined the recipe I was making with the recipe that was directly under it when reading the ingredients. Well, it happened to be amazing, and it ended up being my favorite recipe from the program. The recipe was for chicken salad, and I ended up adding a bunch of spices not in the recipe including: chili powder, cumin, and a small amount of coriander. After making it a few times I just add the chili powder and cumin, but it makes it wonderful! It's simple, quick, and easy, and I have even made this one for lunch and made it back to work on time! :) Here's the recipe:

Smoky Chicken Salad: (Adapted from P90X)
Ingredients: Serves 1
8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
2 1/2 ounces low-fat mayo
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons green onions, diced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)

Directions:
Place chicken breasts on indoor grill or skillet and cook until done, but still tender.

Once cooked, place in food processor and shred chicken finely. This can also be done by hand if you don't have a food processor.

In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, and spices.

Add shredded chicken and combine. Chill until ready to use.

You can eat this a variety of ways: put it in a wrap with some fresh veggies and lettuce, eat it plain, on a sandwich, etc, but I really love a scoop of it on my salad with a sesame ginger dressing on top! So filling.

Have you ever made a recipe that was a flub that turned into fantastic? What's your favorite?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!