A "Go To" Meal

>> Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I have a confession...

It's not a big deal really...

But it's kind of sad...

I cheat when I'm having people over/entertaining and I need a good meal...

I have a "go to" meal.

I know this is probably common, but when you're supposed to be good at cooking, you shouldn't have to rely on "go to meals". So just be forewarned, don't come to my house for dinner twice, because I don't know what I'll make you - I only have one go to meal! :)

One of my favorite parts of the "go to" meal is risotto. I know it sounds pretty common, something anyone can make... but I'm telling you, this risotto is to DIE for!!! The trick is to KEEP stirring. When you think you're done stirring and it's time to add more liquid, keep stirring!!

I originally got a pretty good recipe at my first gourmet cooking class I ever took at Charleston Cooks. I was thoroughly impressed by how yummy this recipe was, tried it at home and actually got it right. After making it a few times, of course I wanted to venture out and try my own thing. This recipe is a few year's worth of love and passion changing things up until I got it JUST RIGHT! The mascarpone cheese sounds like an odd addition, but trust me, so creamy! It's the most creamy, yummy, biggest comfort food you have EVER tasted. For serious!

What's your favorite "go to" or comfort food meal?

Two Cheese Risotto (BY: Me)

INGREDIENTS (serves 4-6)
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup dry sherry + 2 TBS(NOT cooking sherry)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 TBS butter + 1 TBS for use at end if desired
~4-6 cups chicken stock
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (best to get this fresh and grate when needed)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced

DIRECTIONS

**VERY IMPORTANT** Due to needing to have both hands ready for stirring, it's important to have all ingredients measured and prepared prior to starting the cooking process.


Place chicken stock in small saucepan and place over low heat, keeping warm.

In a large frying pan, melt 2 Tbs butter, add chopped onions and cook until tender. Add arborio rice, continuing to cook until rice is toasted.

Carefully add sherry to pan, as it will splatter. Stir rice until dissolved.

When sherry is completely dissolved, using a ladle, pour 1 ladle of chicken stock that was left warming into the pan, continuing to stir until dissolved.

I took a picture of what the pan should look like when it is time to add more liquid. There should be streaks of the rice on the pan, so when the next scoop is added, it's used as a deglaze almost.

Continue adding liquid one ladle at a time until completely dissolved before adding next scoop, and until rice is al dente (You can taste and tell when it is done, but you can also know based on there only being small white spot in middle of rice, rest of rice should be clear.

When rice is al dente, make your last liquid added last 2 TBS dry sherry for added flavor.

Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining 2 TBS butter if desired (yes, you want to because it makes it ridiculously creamy). Then add cheeses and tomatoes and stir.

Place risotto on serving dish and top with Parmesan cheese if desired.

3 comments:

heather January 6, 2010 at 8:05 AM  

i just gained weight looking at these photos. xo!

Joy Susanne March 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM  

I'm going to TRY this again tonight..... gonna make sure it's DRY before adding more chicken stock! :)

Rebekah March 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM  

You totally got this! 😉

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!