Red Velvet Brownies

>> Tuesday, December 21, 2010



How many "special days" can you cram into a little over a one-month period??

I bet you can't beat mine!

Nov 26 - Thanksgiving

Dec. 1 - The hubby's birthday

Dec. 14 - Our 7 year anniversary

Dec. 25 - Christmas

Jan. 1 - New Year's

Jan. 6 - My birthday





That's right - we have SIX, count them S-I-X major celebrations within just a month's time.

Now you know why I've been a little absent and needing some time away from the blog.
I've always said this blog is just for me... my way of keeping sane in the midst of craziness... my way to "vent" in the midst of stress. But if I were to keep it up the last few weeks, it would have caused me stress! So, I'm sorry for the absence. I can't wait to get back into it in the coming days.

I'll also be celebrating my blog's ONE YEAR anniversary at the end of the month with a very fun giveaway!! So look for that coming up very very soon! I really think you will like it! :)
I'm looking forward to some down time in the next few weeks. I have a few days off work, going to be spending some time with some good friends, celebrating Christmas Eve with our church, South Bay Church, and even getting away for a few days with my hubby! Can't wait for some relaxation time.

What is everyone doing for the holidays??

Now onto some insanely delicious brownies!

These take a pretty simple basic home-made brownie recipe with melted semi-sweet chocolate, add some red food coloring to give the red-velvet flare, and top with cream cheese frosting and white chocolate curls.

Don't let the white chocolate curls intimidate you. They are super easy! And they make your dish look super fancy.
These are super Christmasy, if you haven't planned out your whole menu already, these would be a great addition - or you can hold on to the recipe and use them for Valentine's Day! :)


Red Velvet Brownies (From: Southern Living)
Ingredients:
For White Chocolate Curls:
8 oz. white chocolate chips
1 Tbs. vegetable oil

For Brownies:
1 (4-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (1-oz.) bottle red liquid food coloring
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

For Frosting:
1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
For White Chocolate Curls:
1. Melt white chocolate chips with vegetable oil in bowl in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
2. Pour melted chocolate onto smooth surface (I used a cutting board) that can be transferred into freezer.
3. Spread chocolate out till ~ 1/8 inch thickness (very thin)
4. Place in freezer for ~ 1 1/2 min. or until no indention is left on chocolate when pressed with finger.

5. Using a butter knife or frosting spreader, turn it over and push along chocolate long ways till thin curls come up from chocolate.
For Brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom of a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides of pan, lightly grease foil.

2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals.

3. Whisk in sugar, then add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition.
4. Gently stir in flour and next 4 ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 44-48 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely on wire rack. Lift brownies out of pan using foil handles, and remove foil.
For Frosting:
1. Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar and salt, beating until blended. Stir in vanilla.
3. Frost brownies and garnish with white chocolate curls. Cut into 16 squares for serving.





3 comments:

The Chambs December 22, 2010 at 2:02 AM  

mmm those look awesome!
I like your pictures too!
We also have 6 major celebrations in one month, starting with Thanksgiving all the way until Jan. The six celebrations are in just our family, so if we add my mother in law and a niece's bday, that's 8.
Greetings to you and your family! :)

Jackson December 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

So you must be the one that brought these to the Volunteer Celebration. I recognize them from the picture. Delicious!

Rebekah December 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Guilty! :) Thanks... they were yummy!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!