A Unique Pair

>> Wednesday, March 3, 2010


There are so many yummy foods that taste absolutely divine together -


Chocolate and raspberry

Peanut butter and jelly (or peanut butter and chocolate)

Strawberries and chocolate

Coffee and chocolate

Chocolate and oranges

I think you get my point, chocolate tastes good with just about anything, so when I saw this recipe on Joy The Baker's website, I seriously had to try this. So what's the unique pairing, you ask??

Chocolate and Avocado!!!

I know, I know, that sounds disgusting - but don't take me off your google reader because I said chocolate and avocado together... or because my cake is green and looks like snot.... or because my cake might be better suited at a kids birthday party than a fancy adult dinner party. Because I'm telling you, this is at least worth a try.

Why, you ask, should I even keep reading this, let alone try cooking this crazy recipe with avocado in the cake and the frosting?

1) Because chocolate is amazing with anything.
2) Because it's vegan, and since the avocados are the "fat" instead of butter - it's heart healthy fat, and that's a good thing.
3) Because it's still dessert.
4) Because maybe, just maybe you trust me by now and you think you might wanna give it a go.
5) Because it's chocolate.

You can't taste avocado in this cake at all! I promise! The cake tastes like chocolate cake and the frosting tastes like buttercream frosting with a little citrus flavor.

I will admit that the cake was not my favorite - but not because it tasted like avocado, or even bad - I just didn't like the texture. It was so moist, that it was almost a little mushy. My husband is in love with it. But the frosting... mmm the frosting - I won't tell you how many times I licked a spoon full of the frosting. It's my little secret!

So go make it, and then come rave to me how yummy it really was, and tell me how you doubted me that chocolate and avocado could really actually taste good! :) Of course you can tell me if you didn't like it too!
Vegan Chocolate and Avocado Cake with Avocado Buttercream Frosting: (By Joy the Baker)
Ingredients:
For the Cake -
3 cups all purpose flour
6 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup well mashed avocado (about 1 medium avocado)
2 cups water
2 Tbs. vinegar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For the frosting:
8 oz avocado meat (about 2 medium avocados)
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 cake pans and set aside.
2. Sift together all the dry ingredients except the sugar and set aside.


3. Mash the avocado meat VERY well, trying to get as smooth as possible.

4. Mix all the wet ingredients together, including the super well mashed avocado. Add the sugar into the wet ingredients and stir well.


(I know this looks disgusting, but bear with me)
5. Combine all the wet ingredients with the dry in a bowl and mix by hand with a whisk until well combined.

6. Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake for ~ 30 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.

7. Allow to cool for 15 min. in pans, then carefully transfer to wire racks to completely cool before frosting.

For Buttercream Frosting:
1. Peel and pit the soft avocados. It's important to use the ripest avocados you can get your hands on. If they have brown spots in the meat, avoid those spots when you scoop the meat into the bowl.
2. Place the avocado meat into the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment. Add lemon juice and whisk the avocado on medium speed, until slightly lightened in color and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. You may need to scrape the sides of the bowl several times in order to get smooth. (I even used my hand mixer for a minute or two because it made better contact with the avocados, and I didn't want lumps of avocado )in my frosting.


3. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat. Add vanilla extract until combined. If not using right away, store in the refrigerator. Don't worry, it won't turn brown!


4. Frost the cake!


4 comments:

Amy Prikazsky March 4, 2010 at 5:08 AM  

This sounds absolutely amazing! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing! I love avocado and can't wait to try this!

amy
www.theprikazskys.com

Sarah Ann March 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

I love love love your blog!! :)
I keep reading it but keep forgetting to comment!
:)

Sarah (sarahannrogers.com)

Anonymous,  March 4, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

lol. Filipe would love it. He thinks we, Americans, are weird because we eat avacado w/ salty foods. He says in Brazil they eat it w/ sweet stuff- like other fruits. He likes to mash avacado and mix it w/ sugar & honey.

Oh and lately I've been hearing a lot about chocolate and bacon (even from Whole Foods!) so I guess it's true- chocolate makes anything better. :)

Patrick March 4, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

Wow...I'd have never thought to put those two together in a million years! :)

Had I been there with you while you were making this, I'd have probably helped Archie take care of a good deal of that avocado with some chips! Ha!

Can't wait to see you and sample some of your amazing cooking again! I love the blog and the idea behind it.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!